Doing MBA at age 45

I am a Senior Manager right now but aspiring to get to the CXO level. I have done 1 yr executive Programs but not a full fledged MBA Program so the question is will it be worth to do it now at the age of 45 to make it happen.

Guna

• Hi Guna,

While I can't speak from personal experience you might be interested in the case study below originally published by our media partner the Independent. It describes someone at a similar point in their career using the MBA to step up from management to MD:

"Tom Jones, 45, has taken an executive (part-time) MBA at Lancaster University Management School (LUMS). He has recently changed jobs from a regional business development role at EEF, the manufacturers' organisation, to become managing director designate of Elonex Sport, which sells advertising at sports stadiums.

First degree: Combined Studies (University of Newcastle upon Tyne)

"I've always had a personal interest in ongoing professional development. I've undertaken professional management training and also delivered it in the past. Although there are far more providers now, an MBA is still the pinnacle of business education and very well respected, so it ticks two boxes.

I had two main concerns – that I'd meet the academic standards and whether I could fit it around work and family – I'm in full-time management, which takes me around the country, and when I began the course my sons were three and five. I've made much better use of my time – using train journeys to study, switching off Sky Sports and working weekends and evenings. My learning style is more pragmatic than theoretical, and a strong emphasis on theories and frameworks has been challenging.

I chose LUMS because of the consultancy elective, which has been rewarding and I've been slightly disappointed that finance hasn't been more about management accounting. On the executive course, we haven't had as many speakers as I'd have liked but we've had plenty of opportunities to gel with the cohort, which has been one of the strongest benefits.

It's reinforced a lot of personal and business values. I have absolutely no regrets about taking the course – it's invaluable, though I would have liked more focus on the practical side. If I start churning out management theories, people will ask 'what the bloody hell does that mean?'

I have more questions now about what I will do than I did at the start of the course, but that's a good thing. I didn't plan to change jobs but questions I put to myself made me take that decision. It's also got me thinking about self-employment."

Related